Inclement Weather Closings or Delays
The safety of all students and employees is of major concern when deciding if Blue Ridge Community College must be closed or its opening delayed because of weather conditions. The decision to close the College or to delay its opening will be made as early as possible.
Here are some important things to remember on stormy mornings or evenings . . .
- Because local radio and television stations allow only standard messages that may sometimes be confusing or possibly incorrect, please check Blue Ridge Community College website first to confirm plans for all College locations (Henderson County Campus, Health Sciences Center, and Transylvania County Campus).
- Because inclement weather can range in severity within a few miles, students should use good judgment in making decisions about traveling on roads in the area they live.
- It is also possible, for example, that classes at the Transylvania County Campus may be held while the Henderson County Campus is closed or vice versa.
- Closings of other public and private schools in Henderson and Transylvania counties do not mean that Blue Ridge Community College will be closed.
- If no announcement is made, you may assume that BRCC will operate on a normal schedule. Weather conditions sometimes worsen during the day after classes have begun. If early dismissal is necessary, the announcement will be made at the College as well as through local media.
- If Blue Ridge Community College has a delayed opening due to inclement weather or other emergency, students should report to the class/lab/clinic they would normally be in at the announced opening time.
- Generally, faculty members establish guidelines on their syllabi for the cancellation of classes and how work will be made up. Please check with your instructor to determine their plans for missed classes due to inclement weather.
Blue Ridge Alert
Blue Ridge Community College offers an emergency messaging alert system for students, faculty, and staff as part of its comprehensive emergency preparedness plan to quickly notify students, faculty and staff of campus emergencies or campus closures via SMS text message, e-mail, voice message or any combination of the three. Participation is completely voluntary.
Information about Blue Ridge Community College closings will also be announced on the following:
- WHKP 1450 AM, Hendersonville
- WTZQ 1600 AM, Hendersonville
- WKSF 99.9 FM, Asheville
- WSQL 1240 AM, Brevard
- WLOS - Channel 13, Asheville
Or call the College
- Henderson County Campus - (828) 694-1700
- Transylvania County Campus - (828) 883-2520