silhouette of U.S. veteran salute over U.S. flag

Veterans Services

Educational Assistance for Veterans and/or Dependents of Veterans

Most curriculum programs offered by the College are approved for the training of veterans and their dependents. Eligible veterans and/or their eligible dependents who wish to pursue their education should contact the Financial Aid Office for application guidance and support.

Certification Process for BRCC Students

All students pursuing GI Bill veterans' benefits of any type (Post 9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 30, Chapter 1606, Chapter 1607, or Chapter 35) should complete the following steps:

  1. Select a program of study and apply for admission to the College.  All admission requirements must be completed before veterans' benefits can be certified.

  2. Submit official copies of transcripts from high school (or high school equivalency diploma scores, if appropriate), and all colleges ever attended.  The VA requires that we have all transcripts from all colleges attended, regardless of whether or not your education occurred prior to your services, or whether or not you received VA benefits at the time of your attendance at the other schools.  Your VA Certifying Official is not cleared to certify your benefits until you have produced all official transcripts from high school and college.

  3. If you have not already done so, apply for your VA benefits online, at (If you received your VA benefits at another school, you will need to complete a Change of Place of Training Form with the VA Certifying Official). Eligible dependent children and spouses of veterans may apply directly for benefits through the county veterans' service office as well.

  4. Submit all required documents to your VA Certifying Official.  In most cases, this will simply be your VA Certificate of Eligibility, which you will receive approximately 6-12 weeks after applying for the benefit online.  If you received your VA benefits at another college, you will need to fill out either a VA form 22-1995 or 22-5495, which you can pick up from your VA Certifying Official. If you have your Member DD-214, it would be also helpful for us to have a copy of it.

  5. Make an appointment with your VA Certifying Official to go over the Veterans Affairs Student Contract.  Disabled veterans attending under Vocational Rehability must have the approval of a counselor at the DVA before payment of benefits may be authorized.  All other required admissions procedures (above) must be followed as well.


Satisfactory Academic Progress

In order to receive veterans' assistance, a student must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress according to the college policy. Students must maintain at least a 2.0 or higher cumulative GPA. If the student's GPA drops below a 2.0, then the student will be placed on academic probation. For more details on Satisfactory Academic Progress click here.


Students Receiving DVA Benefits Change of Status

Benefit recipients must immediately notify the Financial Aid Office of any changes that may affect their pay status.  Such changes include changes of program, changes of hours, or changes of address.  All necessary forms, instructions and assistance for notifying the Department of Veterans Affairs of changes in  your status may be obtained through the Financial Aid Office.


Scholarships for Veterans

Blue Ridge Community College offers scholarships that are specifically for veterans. To apply for one of these scholarships and more through the BRCC educational foundation, please complete a short application at the following link:

Blue Ridge Community College Educational Foundation Scholarship Application  ▶


Contact Us

VA Certifying Official

Crystal Smith
VA Certifying Official
Blue Ridge Community College
180 W. Campus Drive
Flat Rock, NC 28731
Phone: (828) 694-1815

Text: (828) 600-4955
Fax:  (828) 696-2446

Sink Building, Room 128, Henderson County Campus


Contact Information

Regional VA Office

(800) 827-1000


Customer Services Representative

(888) 442-4551 or 888-GIBILL1

Please note that on-hold wait times can sometimes be long.