Academic Advising and Registration
Check the Registration Dates webpage
How do I sign up for classes?
Students must meet with an advisor in order to register for classes. All students are assigned an Academic Advisor, with the exception of Special Credit Non-Degree Seeking Students.
Choose one of three options:
1. Current Students
Contact your advisor for an appointment and to have the registration block lifted.
2. New Students
3. Returning Students
- Guide you in researching and choosing long-term educational and career goals.
- Connect you with career coaching and resources.
- Advise you on how many courses to take and when to take them.
- Set up a Course Plan in myBlueRidge, a list of advisor-approved courses which a student may register for, for the next semester.
The Academic Advisor is usually a faculty member from your program of study. Your Advisor can be located in myBlueRidge.
- Under "Student Planning:"
- Click on "Plan your Degree & Register for Classes."
- Click on the Advising Tab.
- Look under "My Advisor."
How do I locate my Advisor's Office and their Office Hours?
All campus faculty have posted office hours. These hours are posted outside their offices, on their syllabus, and online in the:
Preparing for the first Advising Session
All students have an advising block on their registration account every semester until they meet with their advisor. This ensures students are receiving guidance in their academic planning before registering.
Step 1: Know what courses are required for your program of study
- Your program information is available on myBlueRidge. Under "Student Planning," click “My Progress.” See the “Student Planning Guide" for help.
- Program of study (major) requirements can be found in the College Catalog. Catalogs are available online or from Student Services in the Sink Building.
- Transfer students can access transfer guides to university degree pathways here.
- Program Counselors in Student Services, or Faculty Advisors, can provide information on course requirements or specific admission requirements for all programs of study.
Step 2: Know what courses you have already taken
- This information can be found in your myBlueRidge account.
Use the “View My Progress” link under the myBlueRidge "Student Planning" menu to see what courses you need to take to complete your academic degree. Scroll all the way to the bottom to see the courses you already have credit for.
Step 3: Know what courses you need to take for the semester
- Use the “View My Progress” link under the MyBlueRidge "Student Planning" menu to see what courses you need to take to complete your academic degree. Select courses you need to take to complete your academic plan and click the “Add Course to Plan” button.
- Your advisor will discuss your choices with you and finalize the plan.
- Find the time and day, the course section number, that works for you:
Step 4: Register for Classes
- Once your Advisor has approved the Course Plan and removed the registration block from your student records, you can register for your classes using myBlueRidge, "Register Now."
- Check the Registration Dates webpage for more information about registration and payment deadlines.
Need help planning and preparing for a career?
View the following link for a helpful tool:
|Online Course Information
Programs at BRCC
Tuition Payment Plan
Ways to Pay and Payment Deadlines